A friend always asks me, "So...what's for dinner?". I love to cook and bake, make good meals for my family and I have a secret obsession with cookbooks. Here are some of my favorite recipes and foods that I love...enjoy!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

This recipe is truly delicious!  It hits the spot when you want a warm comfort food! 

1 stick butter
1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. dry mustard
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
5 1/2 cups of whole milk (2% is ok as well)
4 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb. pasta noodles (I use different varieties)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook pasta according to package, drain and set aside.

In the saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add the dry mustard, salt and pepper and stir.  Add in the flour and continue stirring the mixture until it becomes a "roux" (thick, paste like consistency).

Add the milk to the roux and continue stirring over medium low heat until the mixture becomes thick and bubbly.  (It helps speed the process along if you warm the milk in the microwave first.)

Remove saucepan from heat and add cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted.

Put pasta in baking dish and top with cheese mixture until it is all coated. 

Bake until slightly browned on top, about 30-45 min.

No comments:

Post a Comment